I have an odd obsession with trying to use everything in my fridge, that's probably where my love for soups come from! I had some sweet potatoes just sitting in my fridge and I just knew I had to use them!
I googled recipes with sweet potatoes and fell upon La Petit Broiche's sweet potato bread recipe. I changed and added somethings and it still turned out great.
2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 1/4 Cups Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/2 Cups Mashed Sweet Potatoes
*1 Ripe Banana, mashed (I only added it cause it was super brown and I had to use it somehow)
1/2 Cup Pecan pieces
1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.
3. Stir in eggs, vanilla, milk and mashed sweet potatoes until well blended. Stir sweet potato mixture into flour mixture ; stir just to moisten.
* At this point I would fold in the pecan pieces.
I wish I folded the pecan bits into the batter to give it another texture but next time I will.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
The bread came out moist and flavourful.