My mother requested I make some ginger ice cream so candied ginger I made! Always have to keep the mama happy since she pays for everything!
If you haven't ever had ginger ice cream, it definitely taste better than it sounds.
Original recipe here.
4 Large Egg yolks
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Fresh Ginger root, roughly grated
2 tablespoons water
2 Cups Half-and-half
1 Cup 35% Cream
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 Cup crystallized ginger, finely diced
1. In a large bowl lightly whisk yolks.
2. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook sugar, fresh gingerroot, and water over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
3. Add half-and-half and bring to a simmer. Add hot half-and-half mixture to yolks in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into pan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F. (Do not let boil.)
4. Pour custard through a sieve into cleaned bowl and stir in cream and vanilla. Cool custard. Chill custard, its surface covered with plastic wrap, until cold, at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day.
5. Finely chop crystallized ginger. Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker, adding crystallized ginger three fourths of way through freezing process. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week ahead.
If you want something different and like a hint of heat then you'll love ginger ice cream!