If you know me you'll know I need to bake or cook something everyday. I know, it's weird. So on my day off I was itching to make something different and I landed on Spoon Fork Bacon, practically going through the whole blog I landed on Hush Puppies.
They looked so good how could I not make them!?
1 Cup cornmeal
1/2 Cup All purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/4 Teaspoon Baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
2/3 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 an Onion, thinly sliced
1 Quart Oil for frying
Spicy honey drizzle:
2/3 Cup Honey
2 Tablespoons fresh Chili sauce (such as Sambal)
sea salt to taste
1. Pour oil in a large pot and begin preheating on medium-high heat.
2. Place all ingredients for the hush puppies into a large bowl and whisk together to create a thick batter.
3. Once the oil has reached 350F fry large (2 tablespoon) spoonfuls of batter for about 5 minutes. This will take several batches.
4. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
5. In a small bowl combine the honey and chili sauce and stir together.
6. Serve the hush puppies warm with a drizzle of the spicy honey sauce.
They were deliciously dense and crispy yet soft and flavourful.